Monday, March 31, 2008

Oh yeah... The Warm-Up

I tend to leave the fitness tips to the trainers, but today I had an experience that might benefit you, especially if you are doing P90X.

The Value of The Warm-Up... Today I did a full fifteen minutes of warm-up before I started my resistance routine. As a non-lover of fitness, I tend to want to "get right to it", but I think that attitude has hastened a couple of injuries.

When it came time to start lifting, I was much stronger than I expected - especially when it came to pull-ups. And my elbow and shoulder issues didn't bother me at all!

The warm up was intense enough that by the end of it, I felt like I was working hard. And by the time I started working out, I got to full intensity much faster.

So if you're like me, you might reconsider. Make sure you are warmed-up well before you "bring it" and not only will your workout be stronger, but you'll avoid injury.

1 comment:

Krista D. said...

I hear ya, Carl! I almost hate doing the Power Yoga warm-up for P90, but I skipped it once and had a really hard time getting into the workout. My heartrate took a long time to regulate, and my muscles were so tight, so I will never do that again! I'm also getting better at it, so I tolerate it more now! I hope Yoga X will be better when I move up to that!