Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Lesson of My Beachbod-a-thon

One of the things that makes Beachbody products effective is that they are created by a company of people that generally doesn't enjoy working out all that much. That means that everyone at the company is constantly looking for the thing that works "for them". For me, Power 90, P90X, and Fast 10 really fit my needs. For others it is Slim in 6, Kathy Smith's Project You!, Yoga Booty Ballet, Turbo Jam, or Hip Hop Abs which is "the answer" for them.

All of them have found a huge fan base. All of them have found their audience. Which is pertinent to what keeps us searching for the next opportunity to add a layer of diversity to the Beachbody and Million Dollar Body catalog: No single product is "the answer" for everyone.

Which is one of the lessons I learned from my Beachbod-a-thon, where I set out to complete each of our titles, one a day until I did every single DVD... An important aspect of my job is testing, developing, and tweaking new programs from a user-perspective. In the midst of the Beachbbod-a-thon, I haven't been able to keep up with my role in R&D, so development has been slowed. In that way, I have not been doing my job for you.

So my Beachbod-a-thon, which seemed like a good idea at the time, has been suspended. I will keep working my way through all our programs, just not quite as quickly as I expected to while we are in our heavy product-development season. The good news is, I've gotten a fresh taste of every one of our programs, and can relate to what's unique about every one of them. I also got a clear sense of areas where we can add to the catalog to make in-home video fitness better... I am talking about unique stuff no one has ever produced before. And you'll be experiencing the fruit of that lesson over the next nine months!

So from time to time, when you see me in WOWY at 6AM PT and I am working out to "Other", know that there's something exciting in development, and if it's good enough to get me up at 6AM, it's gonna be good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carl! That's part of the reason I love Beachbody...and now MDB. You are always coming up with new programs to keep me motivated.

At the end of last year, I realized that coming to the message boards often was what worked for me. When I drift from the boards, the bad habits return. Now the year is almost half over, and I've worked out almost every day in 2007!

It's true, you become the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. THAT'S why I continue to come here. It's not easy to find fitness minded people out there, but MDB is changing that one person at a time.

Thanks for all you do!

Judy (aka cani)