I have received a bunch of Facebook posts and Tweets from people telling me that other big networks have taken notice of the resounding success of Shakeology and will be competing with us soon.
I say: "Bring. Them. On."
Here's what I know:
1. Competition makes us better.
2. Shakeology is special. All these doctors aren't using Shakeology and recommending it because it's "me too." The health results people experience are real because we didn't cut any corners, and frankly, that's also why our margins stink. I doubt companies that are used to the margins you get on over-hyped fruit juice will make the same investment in quality sourcing. So, they'll get to claim a lot of stuff (as they always do) and compare prices (because theirs will be cheaper)... But "cheaper" is as cheaper does, and will NEVER get the health results we get. The price of Shakeology is not because of profit-taking, it's because the quality really is THAT good.
3. We combine our nutrition with the best workout programs on the face of the earth. That's not an easy sell - but it's the right sell. I don't know if juice and pill companies can go from a field force used to saying "just drink a shot of juice each day and take a handful of these and you'll be healthy" to "Do 90 days of exercise and drink a shake a day and you will transform your health. It's not easy, but it's worth it." Tough transition to ask a volunteer sales force used to make if they were originally attracted to short cuts. Our network signed on for real results, which take real commitment. Our coaches signed up to really achieve something. It shows in the photos and health results.
4. Our business is supported by an unprecedented customer lead program and $100MM of TV advertising. Ever heard of P90X? TurboJam? Brazil Butt Lift? Insanity? Slim in 6? Hip Hop Abs? Body Gospel? That's power.
5. Shakeology was on Entourage. Yes. Incredible, but true. Entourage. Take that, competition.
Who knows though? Maybe the competition will get it right, and actually do the right thing for the customer. Maybe they will "make less margin" so they "help more people", and together network marketing companies will stomp out obesity and get people healthy faster than any of us could have achieve alone. I am open to that too. That's the goal here. If we succeed and everyone gets healthy, we'll set the sights of Team Beachbody on the next global crisis and we'll solve that better than anyone in the world too.
But for now, we are the ones setting the high standard. So we keep doing what we do - better than anyone else has ever done it. And with fierce drive and commitment, we get better every single day. It's not easy to seek constant improvement. But that's where excellence comes from, and that's what Team Beachbody is about. We. Never. Quit.
Competition? Bring it on.