Friday, December 03, 2010

Total Wellness Transformation: Hank's Journey - Milestones



The Diary Of A 50lb Weight Loss Journey


It's Hank, here!

WOW. What a busy, crazy week! A lot going on, a lot to keep up with, but a good week overall. I'm staying consistent with working out and eating clean. Last week, I touched on something in regards to staying motivated and what keeps me in the game.

I like to think of them as milestones. Typically, a milestone is thought of as a significant or notable accomplishment - 50th wedding anniversary, a birthday to signify a new decade (30, 40, 50, etc.), a major promotion, a product launch - you get the picture. To me, milestones can be much simpler.


Webster's Dictionary defines a milestone as "a significant point in development." That's more in keeping with my way of thinking. I have learned to acknowledge - and sometimes celebrate - milestones along the way, both major and minor.

I acknowledge milestones every day. When I'm working out and I see that I'm pushing harder, doing more, going a little faster and doing a bit better than I did the day before, to me that's a milestone. Celebrating a co-worker's birthday in the office with gourmet cupcakes the size of a softball, but choosing not to partake and opting for an apple instead? Milestone. Having to buy new pants and belts because the old ones are literally falling off? Milestone.

Each small victory, each better decision, each healthier choice puts me that much closer to my goal, so in my mind, they are milestones. They keep me engaged, keep me motivated and allow me to feel good about myself, my progress and to have fun on the journey.

Sometimes, my body tells me it's ready
for a milestone - like when it wants Shakeology. It's used to the good stuff and is craving it. When I've worked out so hard I'm sore in that good way and it hurts to even raise my arms to shave my face in the morning? Milestone!

So that's where my head is at. I encourage you to look at your milestones and acknowledge them along your journey. They may not all be major, but if you stay consistent, you'll find those smaller milestones add up to more significant ones. Thanks to Carl and Team Beachbody and their tools and support, I'm seeing success on my journey. Plus, Carl says there are now 43,000 Team Beachbody Coaches and counting! I'd say that qualifies as a milestone.

This week, I've got two more milestones to celebrate: I'm down another 2.4 lbs, plus this puts me at 31 lbs lost since September 17th! I have one word for that: milestone!

Until next time,
Hank




No comments: