Sunday, December 26, 2010

Total Wellness Transformation: Hank's Journey - Holiday Traditions

The Diary Of A 50lb Weight Loss Journey

It's Hank here on Christmas morning!

Happy Holidays - whatever you choose to celebrate! I'll make this quick, because my parents are here visiting and we've got a Christmas dinner to prepare. And it's a healthier one than in years
past!

I am still making progress and still on track, though this week proved challenging. Crazy schedules, crazy deadlines, special Holiday meals with vendors, suppliers, colleagues, etc. But I am feeling good and have been working hard to resist temptation and not pack on the holiday pounds that so many people I know are complaining about.

We had a celebration at work this week with the most amazing cake ever created from a gourmet specialty bakery and as much as
I wanted to partake, I politely declined because it simply wasn't worth it to me. Small victory! There are areas in our office where it looks like Mrs. Fields has set up shop and I just keep walking by. I've even had some people get offended when I declined their homemade holiday treats. Sorry, but I'm on a mission here!

Even when shopping for ingredients for the Christmas dinner, I decided to swap out some of the traditional side dishes we prepare and go lighter and healthier. Instead of a green bean casserole in cream of mushroom soup with bread crumb crust on top, we're going with asparagus and balsamic vinegar. Instead of potatoes au gratin, roasted sweet potato wedges. My parents threatened not to come if I didn't make my mac n' cheese (I only make it once a y
ear on Christmas), but I am making it with skim milk, low fat cheeses and whole wheat pasta. I'm starting a new Holiday tradition of healthier choices.

This year, Christmas began with sweat. I was up-and-at-'em early and got my workout in, because I know the rest of the day is gonna be crazy. And this year - for the first time since I was in high school - our Christmas morning meal doesn't consist of giant Cinnabons and hot chocolate. Instead, everyone is having a Chocolate Shakeology with a dash of cinnamon.

Holiday snacking throughout the day will include apple wedges, grapes, raw almonds and dried Omega-3 cranberries. We even got rid of the traditional holiday desserts and compromised on some Shakeology sorbet - Chocolate with peppermint extract and Greenberry with pure cranberry juice - to capture the flavors of the season without the bad stuff.

So as you enjoy this Holiday Season with friends and family, I wish you well and wellness. My love and appreciation go out to Carl and all the Team Beachbody Coaches for their inspiration and hard work. I'm down another pound, but given all that came my way this week, I'll take it! For me, this is about adopting a healthier lifestyle and improving my overall fitness, not just the numbers on a scale. I'm strong, I'm determined and I'm getting it done. The
journey continues...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to shower and get ready, because we've got some healthy gifts to open! Have a safe, healthy and happy Holiday weekend!

Until next time,

Hank




No comments: