Saturday, January 22, 2011

Total Wellness Transformation: Hank's Journey - Consistency



The Diary Of A 50lb Weight Loss


It's Hank here!

Well, it's been quite a week! Another fast paced, jam packed, action-filled week at work, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Though, for a short week (due to Monday being the MLK Holiday), it sure was a long one!

The good news is I'm consistent. The bad news is...I'm consistent.

I say good news, because I am consistent with eating clean, working out and staying on track. But I say bad news because I'm also consistent at burning the candle at both ends for yet another week. It's not really bad news - I'm thinking of it as a challenge...an opportunity to change. I'm making all these other healthy changes, I need to focus on that one next. Maybe I'll get crazy and take some time off soon.

Consistency feels good, though. As I've written before, it brings results and I am celebrating those, no doubt. I don't find myself craving the things I used to crave. They have been replaced by healthier habits and options.

Now, my idea of a snack is an apple or some raw almonds or maybe some string cheese. When I go to the grocery store now, I don't even go down the snack food aisle anymore. Not because I am afraid of the temptation - I can handle that. I don't go near it because it holds no appeal for me. I k
now it has little (if any) nutritional value and I respect and care about myself enough now to make the choice to fuel my body more effectively.

Actually, to be honest, I can't remember the last time I went to a real, full fledged chain grocery store. The smaller, more health oriented stores are what I prefer. Better produce, better meats, more organic - and less crowds and hassle. And because I'm not filling up my cart with all kinds of junk, it costs far less. Gotta love that!

I wasn't feeling 100% this week, so I listened to my body and took an extra day off from working out to allow myself to rest and repair. I am much more conscious of making choices that enhance my quality of life than those that ultimately detract from it.

2011 is all about new energy, new beginnings, new habits and a clean slate. It's great to be starting off the new year on a healthier path, rather than trying to get back on one after a holiday season of over indulgence.

I met a friend for a late dinner the other night and I was running a few minutes late. When I walked into the restaurant, he was shocked, since I hadn't seen him since July and there is now considerably less of me. This week, a coworker told me I looked amazing - which is odd, because I see this person nearly every day. When I pointed that out, he said, "I just now realized how good you look, though! Your skin is better, you look refreshed - you're wasting away!"

Well, not quite, but I appreciated the kind words. It just confirms that my consistency is paying off. For me, it's not about the numbers on the scale, it's about a new, healthier lifestyle. And that comes with the benefit of feeling (and apparently, looking) better. It's a journey for me and I am far from my destination...but I am having fun getting there.

Speaking of which, I actually need to go to the market and get some lean protein for dinner and cook up food for the week ahead so I can stay on track. Next week, I hope to have an update on how I am doing at restoring some work/life balance.

I stepped on the scale this morning after my workout to discover I'm down another 2.4lbs (again, consistent as all get out) which brings my total weight loss to 47.4lbs! That's something to celebrate! Of course, it wouldn't be possible without Carl and Team Beachbody Coaches, for whom I am eternally grateful.

Until next time,
Hank







No comments: